If you work a full time job and usually hit the gym after work, then you’re probably reluctant about taking supplements or a pre-workout drink with a bunch of caffeine or other stimulants. It would definitely help us through our work-outs, but when it comes time to unwind at night and start all over the next day, it could be tough to do while you’re still wired from your caffeine enriched pre-workout.
Here is a list of a few good supplements that would help stimulate fat loss without all the stimulants. (I’ve added a link for each supplement that was the cheapest and best brand I found on Amazon.com).
- L-Carnitine: I’ve talked about this before in a previous blog, but I have to reiterate the fat shredding effects it has. It has no caffeine and is safe to take before bed. Take this a few times a day to keep your body in a fat burning state.
2. Oligonol: This is derived from lychee fruit extract and green tea. Not only does this help burn visceral fat, but it helps with blood circulation in the extremities. If you have cold hands and feet, this has shown to help keep blood flowing in those areas. It also helps with skin, energy and cardiovascular health.
3. Forskolin: Forskolin is an active compound found in the roots of the Indian coleus (Coleus forskohlii), a tropical plant related to mint. This isn’t a miracle supplement that will melt all the fat away, but it does help when you’re in a caloric deficit. It’s also shown to help preserve muscle mass when you’re dieting. The recommended dose is 500mg a day.
4. 7-Keto DHEA: 7-Ketodehydroepiandrosterone, also known as 7-oxoprasterone, is produced by metabolism of the prohormone, DHEA. One randomized, placebo-controlled research study on dieting and exercising healthy overweight individuals found 7-keto-DHEA significantly increased body-weight loss and fat-loss. There haven’t been too many long term studies on this supplement, but it has yielded positive results. It’s been a part of my supplement regimen for a few years, and although it’s no magic bullet, it certainly helps. The recommended dose is 100mg, twice a day.
5. CLA (conjugated linoleic acid) is a naturally occurring fatty acid, similar to an omega-6 fatty acid but with health benefits for skin and weight loss. It’s one of the “good fats,” present in foods such as beef and dairy products, but only in low levels. A recent study investigating the effect of 4.2 grams of CLA per day in 53 healthy individuals showed a significant decrease (3.8 percent) in body fat compared with individuals not taking CLA. Take 1500mg (2 soft gels a day) to keep the fat away!
**Bernau Bodies Tip of the Week: Stress eating will pack on unwanted weight you don’t want! Try other stress reducing measures such as going for a walk, any exercise, meditation, massages, acupuncture, having some alone time, reading a book, or talking it out with a loved one. Unwanted weight will only add more stress!
Feel free to contact me or Stephanie if you have any questions about the plans we offer!